Friday 5 April 2013

Our French Life - Where have all the bees gone

Our French Life - The decline of the humble Bumble


I dream of the hazy lazy days of summer when the warmth of the sun on your face is combined with the buzzing of the bees going about their business in the garden, I plant flowers that I know the bees will like so as to attract them, I have no fear of them stinging me, they are not like their very distant cousins the dreaded wasp who is purely on this earth to annoy me and who dance around your face some say to communicate with you, they are the robbers and thieves who will blatantly rob a bees hive killing all the bees in the process.
There is a certain lack of bees at the moment, I would like to think it is because of the cold which I think has a definite bearing on it, I am pretty sure bees go to sleep for the winter and if it is cold they will think it is still winter as we all do sadly at the moment snow still rearing it's ugly head here in Northern France.

I can almost hear this one buzzing
Unfortunately the other reason for the lack of them and it is a chemical one, yes  a class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids. it is a pesticide that is used by farmers when planting crops especially corn.
The world needs to put pressure on the people who produce these pesticides otherwise the bees will vanish all together then we will be in great danger as we won't be able to get anything pollinated and we all know what happens then.
A very different picture

When seeds are treated with neonics, the pesticides get absorbed by the plant's vascular system and then "expressed" in the pollen and nectar, where they attack the nervous systems of insects.
Please if the powers that be are reading this do something now before it is too late.

Einstein was right when he said that if all the bees died in the world that exactly 4 years later all human will die too?

Everyone must act now and do their bit, we are all part of the same environment.