Hello dear readers,
I have been doing some thinking about our life here today as someone asked if our lives had changed since we made the move, I used to think there was no change in fact I would have said there was no difference in our cultures but over the years we have realised that there are some, but nothing that is insurmountable, we came to France because we loved the fact that here in the rural countryside they seem to be at least 50 years behind England, life is just like it was when we were kids, safe to run around outside without getting robbed or attacked, people especially children still have respect for others and elders, don't get me wrong, it is starting to change now sadly and as you travel closer to the big cities you will see the graffiti some of which I find very artistic, the french in some areas are getting wise to it now and growing trees instead of concrete walls, I very often see council workers trying for hours at a time to clean it off but I feel it would be much quicker if they painted it, I wonder why they don't invent a surface that rejects paint in the first place,
Here are a few differences we have found
● Children behave in shops
● Everyone greets you even if they don't know you
● men kiss men to greet them (usually family)
● food and the way we eat is different
● The French are creatures of habit
● If you buy the barman in a bar a drink he has to buy one back until neither of you can leave or at least that is what it is like at our bar. and of course the wine is so cheap.
That's just a few for today.
Please leave a comment and share this blog where you can on social media.