Friday 26 August 2016

No food waste here


Hello Dear Readers,

I am back with my frugality, I hate waste of any kind especially food (there are so many people going hungry all around the world) it used to be just the poor countries but now it is happening in prosperous countries like the UK, it has become endemic sadly, and yet we are all to blame for it's existence, we have become a throw away society and I have been guilty of it in the past, now we are pensioners we have to watch every penny or should I say centimes (due to brexit we lost over 100 euro's this month Grrr) we can't do anything to change that though but what we can do is make sure we don't waste any food, let's face it food is already very expensive and getting worse so after spending our money on it why would we just throw it into the bin?
Dear John always jokes he dare not leave anything on his plate or it will manifest itself into tomorrow's  dinner, so today I went through the fridge ready for tomorrow's shopping, there were a few mushrooms and a couple of wrinkled peppers plus 3 lemons and here is what I did...

slice mushrooms and open freeze then pop into a freezer bag

chop peppers and do the same

Zest the lemons and open freeze

juice the lemons and freeze in ice cube tray
The mushrooms and peppers are great for stir frys etc: and the lemon juice and zest will enhance so many dinners, I also like to pop a lemon juice ice cube into a glass of water, so refreshing.


Let me know what you do, I love to get your comments x

Until next time x